Custom Search

How to Write a Cover Letter for a Job in the U.S. after getting a M.S. Degree?

I have 2+ years of software development experience, using Java, in India and I recently graduated from Washington State University with M.S. (CS). GPA 3.7. How to write a cover letter for a job in the U.S.?

I have made some assumptions, particularly about your experience and the core courses you have taken. Here is a sample cover letter:

Dear Mr. Walters,

As a software professional with over two years of experience and recent graduate with an M.S. in Computer Science from Washington State University, I am a strong fit for the Java Programmer position at Widget International, Inc. I have attached my resume for your review.

With extensive experience in object-oriented programming / OOP developing software applications for business verticals like finance and insurance, I am eager to contribute my information technology expertise to your company. I have experience in all the phases of the software development life cycle / SDLC. I can work on multiple projects and adhere to strict schedules.

In the Computer Science graduate program, I have completed courses that include software engineering I & II, systems analysis and design, and software architecture and graduated with a GPA of 3.7. The MS program has further honed my software development skills.

I request you the opportunity for an interview to discuss how my qualifications best match with your company’s job position. I will call you within the next five days to see if I can schedule a meeting with you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Shiv Shankar

NOTE: You've to use a letter-head format for your e-mail cover letter, unless the employer wants you to send the cover letter in text / ASCII format.

Powerful E-Mail Cover Letter Writing Tips to apply for jobs in the U.S. / abroad / India.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Write a Powerful Statement of Purpose (SOP) / Personal Essay for Graduate School?

How to Select U.S. Universities to Pursue M.S. / Ph.D.

Steps to Apply for an M.S. Program in a U.S. University

How to Prepare a Resume to Apply for M.S. / Ph.D. in U.S. universities?

Credit Hours Explained

In-State and Out-of-State Tuition in U.S. Universities for Pursuing an M.S. Program

Out-of-State Tuition Waiver for International Students

Nine Tips to Complete M.S. on a Fast Track in a U.S. University
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a question about pursuing M.S. / Ph.D. in the U.S.? If yes, click the Comments link at the end of a post and ask your question.